…is laid out here. A few highlights:
The [FBI] Director [Comey] was wrong to usurp the Attorney General’s authority on July 15, 2016 and announce his conclusion that the case [against Hillary Clinton] should be closed without prosecution. It is not the function of the Director to make such an announcement. At most, the Director should have said that the FBI had completed its investigation and presented its findings to federal prosecutors…
Compounding the error, the Director ignored another longstanding principle: we do not hold press conferences to release derogatory information about the subject of a declined criminal investigation…we never release it gratuitously. The Director laid out his version of the facts as if it were a closing argument, but without a trial. It is a textbook example of what federal prosecutors and agents are taught not to do…
[Major Justice Department figures from BOTH parties slam Comey’s actions]
…the FBI is unlikely to regain public and congressional trust until it has a Director who understands the gravity of the mistakes and pledges never to repeat them. Having refused to admit his errors, the Director cannot be expected to implement the necessary corrective actions.
- Hillary Clinton did things for which other Americans are in jail.
- At the time in 2016, blogs/media had rumors of numerous FBI agents saying she had better be prosecuted.
- Something always seemed weird about Comey’s 2016 press conference, where he laid out the case for her guilt – but recommended against prosecution.
- I always assumed that the weirdness was in her not being prosecuted, and that he had laid out her guilt as a halfway measure to prevent an internal revolt. (And I may still be right.)
- I also see now how Comey was wrong ever to give such a press conference. He should have let Obama’s Justice Department take the heat for not prosecuting Hillary.
- I still say that either Comey was an idiot, or he was acting to protect Obama and/or Hillary. (As opposed to the Left’s thinking that he was out to get Hillary.)
- Glad to see Comey go. The real test will be who Trump replaces him with?
UPDATE: Breitbart thinks it has The Simple Explanation for Trump Firing James Comey When He Did.
The case for firing former FBI Director James Comey has been made at length by both Democrats and Republicans…
But why fire Comey now? The answer is simple. The day before, President Barack Obama’s former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper repeated, under oath, what he told NBC News’ Chuck Todd on Meet the Press on March 5 — that he had seen no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government…
Put simply, if Trump had fired Comey while there were still serious questions about Russia, then it would have been more plausible to accuse him of trying to interfere in the investigation or cover up whatever happened. It is now clear that nothing, in fact, happened. Monday’s hearing with Clapper and former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates was meant to reveal a “smoking gun,” and produced nothing but viral videos of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)…