Scott Adams has dubbed the Trump Jr scandal #NothingGate – There’s nothing there, but it sure is terrible.
We all know the signs. A couple hours ago, MSNBC was quoting campaign finance law about how campaigns are not supposed to take foreign contributions.
FOR REAL. Yes, I Laughed Out Loud. Right in front of everybody at the gym.
The law clearly talks about money and OBJECTS (the ordinary meaning of “things”) of value. Here is what they were quoting:
A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a contribution or a donation of money or other thing of value, or expressly or impliedly promise to make a contribution or a donation, in connection with any Federal, State, or local election.
First, the words are written *on the foreign national*. Second: Only in a McCarthy-ite, Salem Witch Hunt world could the words be stretched to cover knowledge (which, in the context of a campaign, is called opposition research). AND…AND…AND…IF the words are indeed to be stretched so very far, then Hillary’s campaign was equally-or-even-more guilty.
Seriously…Are these people thinking at all? Well, we know they’re not. This is “what insanity looks like”. These people aren’t following any rational thought process.
Why would they not? The obvious reason: Deflection. Distraction.
- Let’s not talk about Hillary’s campaign violations.
- Let’s not talk about her campaign’s meetings with officials of a foreign government, in an effort to obtain valuable knowledge (or opposition research) on her opponent from those foreign officials.
- Let’s not talk about all the Saudi money (which would be illegal indeed) in her campaign.
- Let’s not talk about the Hillary campaign’s documented, illegal levels of collusion with the media.
- Let’s not talk about all the Fake News, “Hillary is ahead!” and “Hillary is a lock to win!”, that the media perpetrated to try to depress Republican/Trump voter turnout.
- Let’s not talk about the basic fact that she was a terrible candidate – and she lost.
- Let’s not talk about the massive Clinton Foundation corruption.
- Let’s not talk about Hillary’s collusion in giving Russia 20% of America’s uranium supply, apparently in exchange for hefty speaking fees and other yuge donations.
- Let’s not talk about her campaign chair, John Podesta, and his brother being on Russia’s payroll for years.
- Let’s not talk about Hillary and the Obama administration colluding to obstruct justice, in the Hillary e-mail investigation.
- Let’s not talk about the indictments coming, hopefully, for James “Leaker” Comey.
- Let’s not talk about the unbelievable scandal of the Obama administration spying on domestic political opponents. And the intelligence agencies going along with it.
- Let’s not talk about the fact that the entire “Russia hacking narrative” has been a lie from minute one and, accordingly, the leadership of U.S. intelligence agencies are seriously politicized and compromised, meaning President Trump had better clean house – for America’s good.
- Let’s not talk about the Trump administration’s progress and successes.
- No, no, no. Deflect, deny, distract, handwave, keep screaming “Trump!!!!1!”
Fortunately, none of this needs to matter. The Controlled Media, the Left, and the “political class” have lost a lot of power. What we’re seeing now are the throes of their cognitive dissonance; their refusal to believe it. Having done nothing whatsoever wrong in this matter, Trump – and Trump Jr. – need only stay strong and clear-headed, and they will survive; and survival is victory.
My one, little doubt about this situation would be: Whether they will stay strong? We shall see. I know, I know…their track record argues that they will.